New South Wales C38 Class Locomotive
The C38 class was a class of steam locomotives built for the New South Wales Government Railways in Australia.
Built between January 1943 and November 1949, the 30 locomotives in the class were designed to haul express trains. They were the only New South Wales locomotives to use the Pacific 4-6-2 wheel arrangement and were the last steam locomotives built for passenger train operations.
The C38 class was first conceived in the 1930s being heavily influenced by North American and other streamlined locomotives of the time. The NSWGR needed a locomotive to eliminate the complications of double heading required on a number of fast interstate passenger trains.
The design team was headed by Harold Young, the Chief Mechanical Engineer of the NSWGR. The conditions of trackwork with frequent sharp curvature to be traversed at high speed would require six-coupled driving wheels in a 'Pacific' 4-6-2 configuration. Maintenance considerations suggested a two-cylinder simple steam locomotive.
In May 1939 an order for five 38 class locomotives was placed with Clyde Engineering. These locomotives suffered many delays during construction, mostly due to resource shortages caused by World War 11. The first five locomotives, built at Clyde Engineering had a distinctive streamline boiler casing. The remaining twenty-five locomotives were built at the New South Wales Government Railways' Eveleigh Railway Workshops(13 even numbered locomotives ) and Cardiff Locomotive Workshops (12 odd numbered locomotives)
The Clyde Engineering built examples were delivered in wartime grey. At the end of the war, all were repainted green as were the twenty five un-streamlined locomotives from new. All except 3813 were repainted black in the 1950s.
Among the services they initially hauled were the Central West Express, Newcastle Flyer, Melbourne Limited, Reverina Express and South Coast Daylight Express as well as the overnight mail trains. Because of their axle-load they were confined to operating between Port Kembla, Albury, Dubbo and Maitland.
Following the arrival of diesel locomotives in the 1950s the C38s began to haul lesser passenger and freight trains and were gradually phased out. In April 1962 3830 and 3813 hauled the in-augral standard gauge Spirit of Progress from Albury to Sydney. In August 1970, 3801 hauled the Western Endeavour to Perth following the completion of standard gauge Trans Australian Railway with 3813 assisting as far as Port Pirie. In April 1988, 3801 again operated to Perth during the Australian Bicentenary.
The first C38s were withdrawn in 1961 and the last was withdrawn in December 1970.
Technical Details for un-streamlined and streamlined
|Cylinder diameter & stroke:||14.2mm * 20.6mm|
|Diameter of driving wheels:||57mm including flange|
|Diameter of boiler:||54mm|
Working head lamp with separate switch
Axle water pump with bypass valve
Water hand pump with check valve
Water gauge with drain valve
Adjustable safety valves (first working safety valve pops at 60-65PSO)
(Second working safety vavle pops at 75-80PSI)
UK Imported pressure gauge
Both locomotives come with radio already installed and are ready to run. The locomotives have genuine ceramic burners so they do not require a blower to ignite the ceramic burner. The locomotives require 12-15 hours running time to free up so that finer control can be obtained and effective haulage can be obtained as has been seen by observers at Steam Locomotive Society of Victoria , Moorabbin.
Our models are painted in the ‘special green’ as originally used by NSWGR and they represent the earlier version of the full size locomotive. They are authentic.
Read more about the HUB cars and how we plan to make it slightly easier to obtain these coaches to complement the new C38s.
Finally,we are very pleased to advise that Bowande, Wuhu, and Middlewoodbank Railway Pty Ltd, as their agent in Australia, will be registered with the Australian Miniature Boiler safety Committee as an Accredited Manufacturer and Supplier of sub-miniature boilers and gas tanks covered by AMBSC Code Part 3.